Home Office Inspiration: A Gentleman's Study
Well hello again! I hope your week is going really well so far - can you believe we're almost at the end of May?
That means that Father's Day is less than a month away, so I thought it would be fitting to create a Gentleman's Study moodboard for our third instalment of the Home Office Inspiration Series, and as a little bonus for you we've also compiled a list of some gift ideas for the lucky Dads in your life!
So without further ado, let's start by setting the scene...
When I was thinking of who would best encapsulate the mood for this office scheme, one man immediately came to mind, and that was of course, Harvey Specter… for those of you who haven't watched 'Suits', Harvey Specter really is the epitome of a true gentleman.
Note to self: try not to make this blog post totally about Harvey Specter and list off all my favourite quotes of his!
So I'll leave it there (*for now), and hopefully when you see the moodboard, it will all make sense. But seriously, if you haven't seen 'Suits', it really is worth a watch!
HOME OFFICE INSPIRATION: A GENTLEMAN'S STUDY
This scheme came together very quickly once I'd decided the three key priorities for the space:
1. This room means business. Without a commute to work, the space needs to be able to transport you into a different zone from the rest of your house. To give you somewhere you can be 100% focused, motivated and let's face it, exude a Harvey Specter kind of confidence.
2. There should be a good helping of personality within the décor, which could come in the form of artwork, a Whiskey decanter, record player or lighting - more on this later.
3. Summarised perfectly by Jacob Osborn on www.manofmany.com:
"What’s ultimately important is that one core message be relayed: a man of distinction works here"
The first two choices to be made were the desk, as the ultimate focal point of the room and the wall colour, to create the right atmosphere from the get-go. With the dark wood and moody, deep green on the walls, it was then about pulling in some neutral tones to break up the dark, as well as some black accessories & flooring to ground the space even further.
The pops of brass accents add another element of sophistication and fun, especially the trumpet desk lamp which ties in so well with the record player - which no doubt is playing some Miles Davis! Worth mentioning as well that the ceiling light is very aptly named the 'Bow Tie Chandeler'!
(I've resisted popping in a photo of Harvey Specter wearing a bow tie! Feel free to google!).
As you may or may not know, Harvey Specter is very much into his cars, so I thought I little nod to his vintage Ford Mustang would be a nice touch. You can find so many car patents on Displate if you'd rather a different model!
From a practical point of view, it's very important that this room is easy to keep tidy and organised, so with a side board to keep your records safe and hold any spare stationery, and a shelving unit for your files and some hidden storage too, you should be good to go!
So as always, here is the list of links if you'd like to find any of the items on the moodboard:
Paint Colours - Mylands Borough Market or Farrow & Ball Green Smoke or Inchyra Blue
And as promised, a few gift ideas for Father's Day. With everything going on at the moment, a thoughtful gift really can mean so much...
1. A great coffee table book on one of their favourite hobbies or interests. Here are a few suggestions:
2. Their favourite record on vinyl (ideal if they have a record player, but if not, they look great framed too!). Here are a few my Dad would like...
4. Something to go up on the wall - as mentioned above, Displate is one of my favourite places to look for something a bit different or a vintage world map like the one on the mood board would be great for planning their next Bucket List trip!
5. An accessory for their desk or bedside table they might not buy for themselves. A smart desk clock always goes down well! Becca found this gorgeous one from Amara, which is a great place to start for some amazing gift ideas (too many to list here!) such as a wireless phone charger & UV sanitiser (very appropriate for the current situation!).
And that's all from us! We hope you enjoyed this one and found it useful, and whoever you're celebrating Father's Day with this year, we hope you have a great day.
Thanks so much for reading x
You can find Becca on Instagram at @houseofthreelondon for the most gorgeous wedding & interiors inspiration and design services.
Pin for later: